A true classic made at home. Healthy, fresh and with some theatre.
Serves 8 | total time 1 hour 45 minutes (plus 3 hours marinating)
Prep 15 minutes | cook time 1 hours 45 minutes
- 8 boneless chicken thighs
- One large onion
- A few wooden sticks / skewers or 1 metal skewer
- Parsley, chopped
- A pinch of Sumac
- 2 tbsp plain yoghurt
- The juice of two lemons
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper / chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sumac
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4cm chunk of ginger, copped
- pinch of salt
- a few grinds of pepper
- flatbreads / pitta breads / wrap – whichever you prefer
- fresh salad dressed simply with lemon juice – I went for lettuce and red cabbage
- Pickled peppers which can be found at the supermarket
- hot sauce (recipe to come)
- garlic yoghurt (recipe to come)
- Crushed Salad (recipe to come)
- Charred onion, peppers and pomegranate salad
- Grab a pestle and mortar and grind the garlic, ginger and salt (the salt gives it the necessary friction required for grinding).
- Pop in the rest of the dry spices and mix.
- Put this into a bowl (or a sandwich bag) with all the other marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Add the chicken and mix. Leave in the fridge for at least 3 hours but preferably overnight.
- Pre-heat your oven to full whack while you prepare the doner.
- Chop the top and bottom off a large onion – this acts as the base of your doner.
- Put three wooden skewers or one metal into the onion and secure it.
- Begin laying the marinated chicken on top piece by piece until all of it is on the skewer.
- Add the pieces of onion on top of the skewer (the juice from these onions will hopefully moisten the chicken as it cooks – so add any other veg you have laying around).
- Turn your preheated oven down to 200C (180C if you have a fan oven) and place the doner inside.
- Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, checking every now and again to make sure it hasn’t fallen over like mine did.
- While you wait prepare the rest of the feast (see above for ideas)
- Take the chicken out of the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut straight down the layers of chicken so you have pieces with charred bits and beautiful pale white bits. You should have a real mix of texture and colour.
- Lay out your bread, salads and sauces then serve.